Lemon Chess Pie Recipe
A tangy pie that can be topped with meringue, whipped cream or it is good with no topping at all
Write a review
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon white cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (5 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blind bake pie dough (see our blind baking post)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Whisk the eggs briefly. One at a time, whisk in the following, blending until each ingredient has been incorporated before proceeding to the next: the sugar, cornmeal, flour, salt, melted butter, buttermilk, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Pour lemon filling into prepared pie crust
- Cover pie with foil & bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil & bake for an additional 20-25 minutes until center is set, but not puffy
- All ingredients should be at room temperature. This will prevent the butter from seizing and creating a crust on top of your pie.