Rhubarb Pie Recipe
Don't be intimidated, this pie is actually sweet (not tart)!
Write a review
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb (1.5lb)
- 1 1/3 cups white sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter (cut into small chunks)
- 1 egg white (for egg wash)
- Roll out pie dough & refrigerate until ready to use
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine sugar and flour.
- Sprinkle 1/4 of sugar mixture over pastry in pie plate.
- Pile rhubarb over this mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar and flour.
- Dot with small pieces of butter. Cover with top crust.
- Beat egg white with a pinch of salt until frothy to create an egg wash
- Brush top pie dough with egg wash, sprinkle lightly with sugar, then again with turbinado sugar (optional)
- Cut a hole in the top of the pie to vent
- Bake 45-60 minutes until top crust is browned and juices are thick & bubbly
- Buy local rhubarb only when in season; it should be red and green in color.