Sweet Potato Pie
This is a complex pie recipe, but oh man is it worth the effort!
- 2 pounds (about 3) sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup packed (1¾ ounces) dark brown sugar
- Blind bake a pie shell
- Prick the sweet potatoes several times with a fork and arrange over several layers of paper towels in the microwave. Microwave at full power for 5 minutes. Turn each potato over and continue to microwave until tender but not mushy, about 5 minutes longer. Let the potatoes cool slightly.
- Working with one potato at a time, slice it in half and scrape the cooked flesh into a large bowl using a soup spoon (you should have about 2 cups). Discard the skins. Mash the butter into the potatoes until just a few small potato lumps remain.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, egg yolks, granulated sugar, nutmeg, and salt together. Stir in the bourbon and vanilla, then whisk in the milk. Gradually stir the egg mixture into the mashed sweet potatoes until smooth and combined.
- Reheat the cooled blind baked pie crust for 5 minutes in the preheated oven
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the bottom of the warm pie crust, then spread the sweet potato mixture evenly over the top.
- Cover pie with foil & bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil & bake for an additional 20-25 minutes until center is set, but not puffy
Make sure you use sweet potatoes with red flesh!
Tuesday through Sunday 7:00-3:00